[outages] register.com ~50% packet loss

Jeremy Chadwick outages at jdc.parodius.com
Fri Nov 12 10:25:09 EST 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 03:06:16PM +0000, Graham Freeman wrote:
> Starting at about 06:32 (UTC-8), register.com shows signs of being hit
> with a DDoS.    40-50% packet loss to register.com from my hosts in
> California (USA), Minnesota (USA), and England.    Likewise at least
> half of DNS lookups fail.  Operator answering calls at register.com
> acknowledged problem but could give no ETR.

Is there any actual evidence or confirmation that this is a DoS/DDoS?
Packet loss isn't necessarily an indicator of such, no matter how many
alternate paths or peers/routes you have available to you.  It could be
something as simple as "we have a core router that has gone haywire and
'Bob' hasn't come into the office yet"...

Just sayin'.