[outages] Facebook down?

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Thu Nov 18 16:43:13 EST 2010

> On Behalf Of david raistrick
> Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2010 9:51 AM
> Subject: Re: [outages] Facebook down?
>
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2010, John Von Essen wrote:
>
> > I could care less whether or not Facebook is up or down. Facebook
> doesn't
> > effect the rest of the internet like a Level3 or ATT outage, or or
> fiber cut
> > in NYC.
>
> I could care less about a fiber cut in NYC.

The fact is that connectivity to that domain accounts for an increasing
percentage of end user eyeball traffic and various "spin off" content.
Those in the business of delivering content to eyeballs know that
disruption of traffic to the popular content providers are a huge
complaint generator.  If someplace like twitter or facebook or google is
unreachable from the perspective of a provider's customers, they are
going to want to know "is it just me, just my region, is anyone else
having the problem" so they can get some idea of the scope of the issue
and have something to tell a customer who might ask about it.

I don't think it is so much because "it's facebook" as it is "my phones
are ringing and my customers are calling, is this my issue or a general
issue" sort of thing.

My personal opinion of a site doesn't mean anything in the context of
providing access to what they want access to.  I am not going to be more
or less active in sorting out an issue based on my opinion of the site.
Doing so is simply imposing my choices on other people.  As a provider
of end user content, that role is best reversed, the customers impose
their choices on the provider and anyone who doesn't get that isn't long
in business.