[outages] Facebook down?

Derek Bodner subscribedlists at derekbodner.com
Thu Nov 18 17:15:29 EST 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 12:48 PM, John Von Essen <john at quonix.net> wrote:

> We're talking about average Joe Q Public.
>
> This list is for NOC people, ISP operators - not the average Joe. Thats my
> point. Why are we wasting cycles on posting facebook outages.  "WE" know
> that facebook is meaningless

Thousands of companies rely on Facebook's uptime for income.  You might call
Facebook pointless, but I'm not sure Zynga agrees with that assessment.

Facebook is pointless *for you*.  to Zynga's NOC team, probably less so.
 Let's not pretend it's pointless for everyone, from irate customers who
call ISP's complaining that the "internet" is down, to people who use
Facebook as a contact list/promotional tool/calendar, all the way up to
multi-million dollar corporations who base a large portion of their revenue
stream on Facebook's uptime.

> My point to Virendra is this list is becoming tainted with meaningless
> posts. If people post garbage all the time, it will no longer be useful to
> anyone.

Far more time has been spent debating the merit of posting about Facebook
than I've ever spent deleting emails with Facebook in the title, and far
more time than it would have taken to create an email to filter out facebook
messages from this list.  We are, after all, NOC people and ISP operators,
so we have the ability to determine what's important for each and every one
of us.  Facebook's status may not be important enough for you or I to read
about, but I don't feel the need to dictate its level of importance to
others.

--
Derek Bodner
subscribedlists at derekbodner.com