[outages] XO snafu

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Sep 16 13:39:28 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Hunt" <dharmachris at gmail.com>

> This morning we're experiencing timeouts to and from a lot of sites.
I heard through the grapevine that XO instituted some new route limits
on their peers.  Their site at http://businesscenter.xo.com is down,
their phone number 800-424-0583 is fast busy and their Premier
National Accounts 866-295-9696 reports "we are currently experiencing
technical difficulties and cannot take your call" then DISCONNECT.

> UPDATE
> One of my other vendors says that they have resolved it and it seems
to have improved.  According to them, It was indeed a cap on the
number of routes accepted by XO from their peers.

Other reports here in the last hour suggest it was the opposite: XO suddenly
started *sending* a vastly increased number of presumably bogus routes to
their peers, many of whom tripped filter rules, and either shut the sessions
down, or limited them and picked the wrong routes to drop.

I expect it will be tomorrow before we assemble a coherent picture of what
the actual outage was.  Anyone check Renesys' blog yet?

Cheers,
-- jra