[outages] POLICY Reminder: outage reports

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Aug 15 10:36:01 EDT 2011

When you're reporting an outage to the list based on something *other* than
your own trouble ticket with a carrier, please -- in our continuing attempt
to keep postings on this list as productive and high S/N as possible:

Do Your Homework.

===

Don't just ask "is X down?"; there are websites for that.

Please try to have 3 indications that there might be a problem past the
edge of your own network before you post -- *and include what they are*.

If you're replying to someone's inquiry, do your own pings and traces and
MTR -r's, and include those in the posted replies.

This is for two reasons: it will reduce trivial postings, and it will make
the ones that filter through *much* more useful to both the poster, and
everyone else who reads them.

REMEMBER: this list is a forward to many users' mobile mailboxes.  Please
think before you post.  Conversations to outages-discussion.

And as usual, thanks to Jared @ Puck for hosting us.

Cheers,
-- jra