[outages] New Chinese netblock attacking

Todd Lyons tlyons at ivenue.com
Mon Dec 5 11:27:31 EST 2011

I guess it was predicatable.  I knew the last of the /8's had been
handed out to the RIR's, but this is the first traffic I've actually
seen from 1/8.  And it is?  A hacked smtp auth mailbox.  <sigh>

Hacked mailbox detection:
Dec  4 -> 3.0 mailbox pjohnson at OBFUSCATED.com: (24)
 1.195.171.240 => 4
 1.195.188.84 => 1
 1.195.190.106 => 12
 1.195.190.164 => 12
 1.195.191.142 => 7
 1.195.191.236 => 1
<snip>

Another 0wned windows box I guess.  No real question, just pointing
out that traffic is being sourced from some legacy /8's.  If you're
still running a bogon filter with static entries of legacy /8's , you
are probably blocking legitimate traffic.  Update your bogons.

Regards...       Todd
--
If Americans could eliminate sugary beverages, potatoes, white bread,
pasta, white rice and sugary snacks, we would wipe out almost all the