[outages] Comcast packetloss/latency Chicago Il

Steve Bohrer skbohrer at simons-rock.edu
Mon Dec 19 16:37:02 EST 2011

I'm at a small college in the South West corner of Mass. We lost our
main link from campus to Boston this morning, with service restored at
13:26 Eastern. Our local provider described it as "fiber cut due to a
fire at our carrier's location between Pittsfield, MA and Springfield,
MA". Our monitoring showed the link going down between 06:14 and 06:19
Eastern.

I'm guessing based on the restore timing and location that your
Fairpoint/Comcast link might have been caused by the same break,
although our traceroutes show Global Crossing as our carrier from here
to Boston. Not sure how many of them use that same fiber...

Steve Bohrer
Network Admin
Bard College at Simon's Rock
413-528-7645