[outages] Level 3 router in CHI just barfed?

Scott, Robert D. robert at ufl.edu
Fri Feb 11 12:40:55 EST 2011

I am not sure that the release of specific Portal information from a vendor is appropriate, or not a violation of the AUP.

The public information is that a fiber conduit that travels near or under water between Tulsa and Barnsdale OK is being crushed by ice, and degrading the optical characteristics of the fiber. Besides affecting the vendor's circuits, several major circuits that make up part of the Research and Education network backbones are also affected. The internal notes indicate that there are other customers affected. Time of day and temperature are affecting the magnitude of disruptions.

The problem goes back to the 8th of Feb. I can only imagine the work being done to try and thaw out and dry out the path, given the weather conditions. It is currently 35, with an expected low tonight around 18.

Robert D. Scott           Robert at ufl.edu
Senior Network Engineer   352-273-0113 Phone
CNS - Network Services    352-392-2061 CNS Phone Tree
University of Florida     352-273-0743 FAX
Florida Lambda Rail       352-294-3571 FLR NOC
Gainesville, FL  32611    321-663-0421 Cell
                          3216630421 at messaging.sprintpcs.com