[outages] AT&T Email - SMS Gateway Outage?

Steve Polyack korvus at comcast.net
Mon Jul 25 16:43:58 EDT 2011

On 07/25/2011 04:12 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Martin Hepworth<maxsec at gmail.com>  said:
>> No guaranteed or timely delivery of SMS, just like email. In the uk
>> getting the a txt many hours after it was sent isn't that uncommon
> There's no guarantee, but we've found that sending SMS via a cell modem
> is much more reliable than the various email gateways (and still works
> when the problem is the local switch or router and SMTP can't get out).
Agreed.  The small monthly fee you'll pay for a SMS or data-only plan
and the cost of a serial/USB cell modem are well worth it.  You don't
even have to worry about who has what cell provider when sending from an
SMS-capable device.  All of the email-to-SMS provider gateways are
pretty much garbage with varying restrictions on length and content.  We
even ran into providers which provided multiple SMS gateways (by
multiple A records, for example), each having slightly different policies.