[outages] ipv6.netflix.com and www.ipv6.cisco.com down

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Sun May 1 22:17:45 EDT 2011

For those who aren't on outages-discuss, I should close the loop:

ipv6.netflix.com: When I first set up NAGIOS checking I didn't create a
service check but configured the host to perform the check_http check.  I
don't have any notifications for warnings on ipv6 hosts, which is what is
returned when a redirect loop is present.  I discovered the redirection loop
on Saturday, April 23, but I don't know how long it was like that.  At that
time I removed the customized host check (so it does the default ping
instead) and added a check_http service check, where it also returns a
warning but I get notified.  During the outage last week I changed my NAGIOS
check_http to do a "-f follow".  From the NAGIOS records it appears the
issue with ipv6.netflix.com was resolved Friday, April 29 around 3:25 pm
Central because that's when NAGIOS notes a change from a redirect loop to a
failure.  There was a failure on the check_http check because redirection
started working, but to a v4-only site (this has always been the case).  The
NAGIOS check_http service check with "-6 -f follow" properly reports failure
when a v6-site redirects to a v4-only site.  That's why I didn't detect the
recovery on Friday.  I've now set up a custom NAGIOS check_http check to
avoid this issue for ipv6.netflix.com.

www.ipv6.cisco.com: came up at 4:16 pm Central, just 75 minutes after my
posting.  Perhaps someone from Cisco is lurking on outages.org.

Frank