[outages] this list/host work in the coming week

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Sat Nov 19 13:46:33 EST 2011

See below

Jared Mauch

On Nov 19, 2011, at 8:01 AM, Warren Kumari <warren at kumari.net> wrote:

> [ Off-list ]
> On Nov 19, 2011, at 5:13 AM, Jared Mauch wrote:
>
>> I am working on upgrading the hardware of the host that hosts this list.  I believe I have a comprehensive list of tasks that run on this host that I will be using to migrate the services, but wanted to warn people that the host will be undergoing work in the coming week.
>>
>> This is not only a hardware but an OS change as well, so a fairly large project to undertake.
>>
>> If you have questions, please direct them off-list.  This should be a nice upgrade in performance across the board.
>
> I have some free CPU / BW at the moment and can spin you up a VM if you want to (temporarily) move stuff over so you can have a more relaxed upgrade…
>
> Also, as always, am available for remote-hands in Ashburn area (cannot remember where the box is…) if you need  poked...

I have most of this covered its just migrating the OS, applications, databases (yes, plural) and making sure there is a good inventory of all the parts such as perl and php modules built properly, oh and moving the ipv4 and ipv6 addresses.

So far I've abandoned a larger idea of replacing sendmail at this point. That combined with other things are making it difficult to set aside a few hours to supervise each component of the switch as everything is on a single ip/DNS name.

I do have a written plan that will help me finalize the moving parts when it's time. It's more a matter of time. I did one related system last night and a few during the day. Just three more to go :-)

Puck is obviously the biggest one just in terms of multi-use scope. (secondary DNS services, lists, web, BGP monitoring, and the obligatory site for my wife as well. That one must go smoothly so I can sleep at night :-)

This move will be good as it brings the system to modern hardware and dumps an Os that has lagging hardware support. Will also reduce my OPEX as usable packages are available meaning mailman may be the only manually built package! Good news all around as compiling an Os from source and all the parts isn't a good use of time and resources in 2011/2012.