[outages] DNS: 8.8.8.8 won't resolve noaa.gov sites?

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Sep 1 22:41:39 EDT 2011

[ Cross-posted to NANOG and Outages; replies to outages or outages-discussion;
I would set the header, but Zimbra sucks.  :-) ]

I've had my home box set to use 8.8.8.8 as its primary resolver, falling back
to the BBN anycast.

Sometime today, 8.8.8.8 appears to have stopped resolving www.noaa.gov and
www.nhc.noaa.gov:

; <<>> DiG 9.7.3-P3 <<>> @8.8.8.8 www.noaa.gov
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 34999
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.noaa.gov.                  IN      A

;; Query time: 33 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Thu Sep  1 22:38:11 2011
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 30

though it resolves Yahoo and Google and Akamai.com and everything else
I throw at it.

Digging noaa.gov at 4.2.2.1 returns what I expect.

Interesting, too, that Firefox 5.0 wouldn't DTRT, even though 4.2.2.1-3 were
the backup nameservers in my resolv.conf.

Road Runner Tampa Bay connection.

Can anyone confirm or deny?  Google DNS or NOAA people here, before I go ping
NOAA staff on Twitter?

Cheers,
-- jra