[outages] Brighthouse Tampa - outage?

Ian Blenke ian at blenke.com
Tue Sep 6 15:13:28 EDT 2011

> Yeah, they had an outage this morning for 30-45 minutes, around noon; I've
> heard murmurs about an equipment outage in Auburndale (which is apparently
> their CFL hub, for unobvious reasons).
>
> It's back now, at least everywhere I have knowledge of.

Our office network service was restored around 2:41pm EST, but we are
still having latency issues even now (which isn't unexpected given
their rolling service restore going on right now).

Many others on Twitter are still reporting as down.

It sounds like they are working their way through it.

Rumors abound: lighting hit on their Brandon head-end, botched Cisco
IOS upgrades, Hub-27 hard-down in Auburndale this morning (from a
BrightHouse tech), reportedly impacting as far as Alabama if not
nationally, some folks have even gone so far as to report a recording
of a "National Security issue" when trying to reach their customer
support.

Honestly, without BrightHouse confessing and providing a root-cause
analysis, there is nothing factual to point to yet.

- Ian Blenke <ian at blenke.com>