[outages] GoDaddy DNS Issues?

Michael Moeller mwmoeller at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 16:49:47 EDT 2011

We are receiving various reports from our customers (large
institutions) indicating that they cannot access our public facing
hosts via their FQDNs.  We use GoDaddy for DNS.

Initial troubleshooting shows that queries to ns50.domaincontrol.com
and ns49.domaincontrol.com fail from Windows based caching name
servers, however succeed on UNIX/Linux hosts.

Verification at our site using dig and nslookup confirms the above.

On a windows host the following is returned for all valid and invalid
domain names:
   *** ns50.domaincontrol.com can't find xyz.com: No response from server

Can anyone confirm what we are seeing?

Thanks and regards,
Mike