[outages] Wikipedia

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Fri Aug 3 03:51:09 EDT 2012

On Thu, 2 Aug 2012, George Herbert wrote:

> I reported it on their internal/external tech list, I was seeing the
> outage for about 5-8 min and then it is back working in the last
> 5-ish.

Several times over the last few years I've seen WP outages which turned
out to be bad config pushed in to production and then quickly reverted.  A
few were patches to the Mediawiki software, for example.

I guess they don't have a preprod/UAT environment :)  While I can
understand them being able to simulate the scale, a small UAT environment
to test config rationality wouldn't go astray.

I hear Wikipedia has a monitoring system.  It involves alerts issued by
millions of people around the world :)

Cheers,

Rob

--