[outages] Gmail down (502 error)

Steve Di Bias SDiBias at FusionStorm.com
Mon Dec 10 12:33:39 EST 2012

Seems to be working for me via Century Link and Level 3 communications now

Here is what I found for the outage

http://techcrunch.com/2012/12/10/gmail-experiences-a-widespread-outage-most-users-affected/

According to many reports on Twitter and our own testings, Gmail appears to be down for many users. Many writers are experiencing the outage, but it is not a total outage.

Mobile apps and IMAP through a regular mail client don’t work either. For now, users can try alternative methods, such as the basic HTML version, the mobile version, etc. There is no guarantee of success.

Some users report that their Chrome browser is crashing when they load gmail.com. Similarly, Google Drive and Google Calendar appear to be down for some users. There may be an authentification bug affecting Chrome Sync and Google’s authentification system. You can disable Chrome Sync and your browser won’t crash. It confirms that it comes from the authentification part.

Google didn’t update the status page for now. We’ve reached out to Google for a statement and will update as we learn more.

Update: Some users report that they can now load the Gmail web interface again.

Regards,
Steve