[outages] UltraDNS outage?

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 15:08:50 EST 2012

No, I meant two totally separate chains.

Yes, you can screw things up by not keeping them in sync, but too many extended outages have happened because you screw up the one true hidden master, and then it breaks and you can't clean up the public facing slaves fast enough (TTL, timeouts, etc).

Defense in depth starts with "assume the worst single thing just happened for system X; now what?".  Having two separate independent X is a good start.

Certs are similar.  The truly paranoid should have 2-3 separate CA's certs available for the service.  The CA going south, insane, or having to revoke are all real risks.

George William Herbert
Sent from my iPhone