[outages] Possible NTP attacks?

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Nov 20 14:05:30 EST 2012

There are what appears to be a statistically significant number of reports
this week of possible anomalies with NTP timekeeping in various parts of the
net.

Given how fundamental NTP is to many things -- including many types of
authentication -- it would seem to be a good idea to set your "is there
something wrong with NTP" bit, such that you're keeping an eye on the
issue.

If you have monitoring on your NTP servers; watch it.

If you have monitoring, but not on your NTP servers, perhaps that would
be a good project for the short week.

If you don't have any network monitoring at all, let me recommend Munin,
Cacti, and Nagios, in that order, of packages I have experience with, and
I hear good things about Zabbix, too.

Remember: "I can't log in" and "I get this weird error when going to a
secure website" are top-drawer indications that your timebase may be off.

Followups to -discussion, please.

Cheers,
-- jra