[outages] Syria off the net

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Thu Nov 29 23:01:12 EST 2012

Cloudfare believes the routes were withdrawn:

Beginning at 1026 UTC, routes were withdrawn for PCCW. The routing shifted
primarily to Turk Telekom. Routes to Telecom Italia and TATA were also
withdrawn, but has less of an impact. Then, at 1029 UTC, routes were
withdrawn for Turk Telekom. After that, Syria was effectively cut off from
the Internet. (Note that the remaining path that appears to be present in
the video is an anomaly. We have confirmed that it is not actually active.)

While we cannot know for sure, our network team estimates that Syria likely
has a small number of edge routers. All the edge routers are controlled by
Syrian Telecommunications. The systematic way in which routes were withdrawn
suggests that this was done through updates in router configurations, not
through a physical failure or cable cut.

http://blog.cloudflare.com/how-syria-turned-off-the-internet

BGPMon also talks about routes being withdrawn:
http://www.bgpmon.net/syria-shuts-down-the-internet/

I wish those who directly peer with AS29256 would/could share their router
logs.  Did they see their BGP sessions timeout or were there BGP UPDATEs?

Frank