[outages] 8x8 outage/111 8th Ave NYC

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Oct 30 00:07:20 EDT 2012

Because salt water and electricity are a bad combination, NY has shut down large sections of power as a precaution in preparation for expected storm surges that are likely to flood many of the underground facilities. These precautionary outages will very likely make it a whole lot easier to restore power much sooner after Sandy finishes pounding the area.

It's actually a surprisingly wise thing for them to have done. However, for it to work out well, they would have had to offline the back-up generators and disconnect the battery systems as well. I don't know to what extent that will have happened.

Owen