[outages] Godaddy / Premium DNS outage?

Stuart Cianos scianos at alphavida.com
Mon Sep 10 17:00:04 EDT 2012

Yes and no... I suspect a lot of individuals relying on GoDaddy (and other large providers) for DNS hosting *assume* that a large, established provider is going to engineer a highly available solution, and that GoDaddy has taken the appropriate steps to ensure diversity of their DNS hosts.

Of course, we all know that's not true... there is no such thing as "too big to fail". A highly effective DDOS attack can bring large providers to their knees. Personally, I typically replicate DNS for domains I deal with across multiple providers to avoid collateral damage when an upstream DNS provider goes dark (i.e. secondaries across diverse providers). YMMV.

- Stu