[outages] Godaddy / Premium DNS outage?

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick.gilmore at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 16:07:46 EDT 2012

Composed on a virtual keyboard, please forgive typos.

On Sep 11, 2012, at 15:54, "francis.daigneault at bell.ca" <francis.daigneault at bell.ca> wrote:

> Does that mean Godaddy officially reject AnonymousOwn3r statement ?  then I also suspect you deny the following ...
>
> http://pastebin.com/38WAhT0x
>
> http://pastebin.com/EdCDaqQy
>
> Come on a DDOS is not like customer credit card where stolen.. you won’t make me believe you got your full network down for a corruption

Clearly you have never run a network.  (Although there are ways GoDaddy could have ensured no single ASN could take out their service, but that is another matter.)

Also, I know of no backbone provider who saw large flows towards the affected name servers.  While there is clear selection bias here, I am reasonable confident that I would have seen or heard of a large scale attack.

So believe as you please.  I am going to take GoDaddy at their word.  And I'm going to give them credit for owning up to the mistake, in public.

--
TTFN,
patrick