[outages] Packet loss to 4.2.2.2

Scott Berkman scott at sberkman.net
Wed Sep 12 19:19:46 EDT 2012

More importantly, unless something has changed in the past year or so Level
3 has always stated that the 4.2.2.X (yes there are others like .1 - .6) DNS
severs are NOT production level systems and they will not provide any
support for them.  A good piece of evidence to this is that they don't
charge for their use and Level 3 doesn't give much of anything away for
free.  If this is wrong and someone from Level3 wants to speak to it, I'd be
happy to stand corrected.

Sometimes a forum like NANOG is an appropriate place to mention that there
is a possible issue (you can find this in the achieves), but I'm pretty sure
that either way this would not qualify as an "outage".

If you are using 4.2.2.X for DNS resolution for anything in production in
any way other than as a last resort, I feel sorry for your customers.  We
all like to use it for testing because it's easy to remember and generally
reliable, but I always do so with caution.

-Scott