[outages] Boston Marathon explosions/outages

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Tue Apr 16 12:42:15 EDT 2013

On Apr 15, 2013, at 15:59 , Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> 672 Copley St near the square, according to Bloomberg; 100 injuries,
> no confirmed fatalities; much video of the explosions due to live coverage
> of the race.

About 190 injuries, 3 confirmed dead, lots still in hospital, many lost limbs.

> It's being reported that iMessage traffic to the area is congested, and
> iPhone users should disable that for more reliable communications in and
> out of the city.

Yesterday lots of stuff was slammed, including standard cell traffic. Now everything is fine. I am close to the scene, my mobile, SMS, iMessage, and broadband are all fine (modulo a 3 minute hit on Comcast at about 0800 local). A few blocks are closed as a crime scene, at least one T (subway) stop is closed.

> No official confirmation these were bombs; the T may have transformers in
> that area for its subway lines.

Confirmed bombs, considered a terrorist attack. It was two explosive devices, both included BBs or nails to inflict maximum human toll. Early reports of additional unexploded devices were incorrect. Two bombs, both exploded, within seconds of each other. FBI claims there is no further imminent danger.

No suspects in custody.

--
TTFN,
patrick