[outages] Fiber Cut in SF Bay Area

Jeremy Chadwick jdc at koitsu.org
Tue Apr 16 21:17:24 EDT 2013

Number 4 on that list happens here in my city almost weekly, whether the
lines be for telephone, cable, or power.

The residential line techs I've talked to indicate the common cause are
big rigs driving around in areas where the cables are low-hanging.  Of
course nobody reports this until there's an actual outage...  :/

Much worse, not to mention dangerous, occasionally someone with a bucket
truck forgets to lower the arm all the way and proceeds to drive around
for a while before wondering what all the noise is about.  When this
happens, it's like a trail of bread crumbs for the fire department.

Owning a scanner (e.g. fire/police/city) comes in handy for this exact
reason.

Number 5 is also a common problem here too, at least for residential
providers.  Rain doesn't tend to do much damage (barring in-line power
amps that aren't properly closed by techs), but wind is an entirely
different problem.  Goes hand in hand with Number 8.

And finally, we get number 2 too, though my city is blessed with a
"special" kind of grey squirrel: psychotic and extremely aggressive
(search Google for "Mountain View squirrels" if you think I'm kidding.
I've had "personal encounters" with them, the most notable being one
that dropped from a tree onto my handlebars while biking through a park;
it chattered at me rudely for a full 5-6 seconds *while I was still
moving*, before scurrying off somewhere.  Maybe this is what the Second
Amendment is really for... ;-) )

P.S. -- To all you field techs out there, thank you for all the hard
work you do.  You deserve a lot more credit than you get.  :-)

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc at koitsu.org |
| Mountain View, CA, US                                            |