[outages] Level 3 cable cuts in Europe (between UK/IE)

Mitch mitpatterson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 22:08:58 EDT 2013

This is what i'm showing in the Level 3 portal. Sorry for the long amount,
just wanted to give all the info

 Network Event Summary:A fiber cut on an underwater cable between United
Kingdom and Ireland, with a pre-existing fiber failure on the secondary
cable (6497787), thereby impacting both protected and unprotected services.
  Event Ticket ID:6512154 Market Area Affected:Whitesands, United Kingdom /
Kilmore Quay, Ireland   Ticket Create Date:4/18/13 11:01:27 AM GMT   Impacted
For:*15 hours 48 minutes*   Event Status:Active   Resolve Date:  Time Since
Last Update:*2 hours 49 minutes*   *There are currently no reported impacts
to your services caused by this network event. If you are experiencing a
service disruption, please report the issue to Level 3 by submitting a
ticket via the MyLevel3 Portal or calling 877-4LEVEL3.*
 Recent Notes
 DateNotes 4/18/13 11:18:52 PM GMTThe EU Transport NOC advised that the
Segment A fault between Whitesands, United Kingdom and Kilmore Quay,
Ireland is located approximately 23 kilometers from Whitesands, United
Kingdom. Preparations for fiber repairs are ongoing for the Segment B fault
under Event Ticket 6497787 and the next update will be sent when new
information becomes available. 4/18/13 10:51:36 PM GMT The EU Transport NOC
reported that preparations for fiber repairs are ongoing at this time on
the Segment B cable failure. The EU Transport NOC also advised that the
cause for the fiber cuts cannot be determined at this time. Additionally,
as repairs will commence on the Segment B cable failure first, the
estimated repair time for the Segment B cable is Sunday, April 21st, and
upon completion the cable ship will travel to the Segment A fault location
to begin repairs thereafter. The estimated repair time for Segment A is
Wednesday April 24, 2013, and the EU Transport NOC informed that both
estimated repair times are contingent on weather conditions. As such,
further updates will be provided as new information becomes available. 4/18/13
1:30:00 PM GMTThe EU Transport NOC advise the cable ship commencing repairs
on the Segment B fiber failure is reporting to have enough cable and
supplies to also complete the Segment A repair between Whitesands, United
Kingdom and Kilmore Quay, Ireland. The current estimated repair time for
Segment B fiber is Sunday, April 21st. Upon completion of Segment B, the
cable ship will then transit to the Segment A fiber failure and commence
repairs thereafter. The EU Transport NOC report that repairs for the
Segment A cable are expected to be completed four days following Segment B
repairs weather permitting. As such, further updates will be provided as
additional information becomes available. 4/18/13 11:32:32 AM GMT EU
Transport NOC advised a suspected subsea fiber cable failure on Segment A
between Whitesands, U.K . and Kilmore Quay, Ireland, isolating all network
elements on Ireland. Due to a previous fiber failure on Segment B on the
subsea fiber cable last week, the Segment A fiber failure has affected both
protected and unprotected services as well as all telemetry to network
devices. Currently, a cable repair ship is on station for the Segment B
fiber failure, however, adverse weather and sea conditions have delay
immediate repair to the damaged cable. Preparations are underway for a
cable ship dispatch on the Segment A fiber failure.