[outages] Savvis LA issues?

Todd Lyons tlyons at ivenue.com
Wed Apr 24 18:05:19 EDT 2013

Traffic levels are back to normal.  On my way to pick up my kid from
school, Savvis called to verify the issue had been resolved.

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Jeremy Chadwick <jdc at koitsu.org> wrote:
> Todd,
>
> http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog47/presentations/Sunday/RAS_Traceroute_N47_Sun.pdf

I'll be more cognizant of these things, even when hair mode = fire.

> 1. Can you provide source and destination IPs?

nat'd src 208.89.136.20 to dst 98.139.183.24

> 2. Do you have a return path traceroute?  This is incredibly important.

I was in too much of a hurry.  You should be able to traceroute back
to 64.14.201.31 or 208.89.138.21.

> 3. Can you use a utility like mtr instead, from both endspoints?

Next time I'll go out and back from our rackspace machine in HK.
Obviously I would have to use something different as the remote since
my trace was to yahoo.com and I am not a yahoo employee.  I just
picked something different from my co-worker (he used google) to make
sure that in saying "the Internet is down", I wasn't just some idiot
if it was just "google is down".

> 4. Is there some reason your below traceroute is in some format that
> looks almost hand-written and lacks any indication of packet loss (e.g.
> no "*" indicators)?  It's not that I don't believe you, it's that the
> evidence needs to be presented.

Agreed.  I used tracepath (CentOS 6.x) instead of mtr or traceroute.
Again, too much of a hurry.

> If you need a destination to reach (that hopefully utilises the network
> path you're seeing problems with), you can use my box: 206.125.172.42.
> I do not filter ICMP.  If you provide an answer to #1 I can provide
> return-path results.

Thanks for the offer, but no need.  The master ticket has been
resolved, I'll know more technical details in 5 days or less.

> But in general, testing against a site where you don't have return-path
> access/visibility makes troubleshooting very difficult.  See the PDF I
> linked.  :-)

Agreed.  Too much going on at once and didn't get all the info out I
should have.

Thanks for the reply Jeremy, it's much appreciated.

...Todd