[outages] ATT Mircocell

Alex Rubenstein alex at corp.nac.net
Wed Feb 6 07:51:49 EST 2013

ATT Microcell's aggravate me. You would think they would want the world to install as many of these things they can, helping make their coverage ubiquitous. Instead, you have a unit which requires sky view (GPS), so that makes it damn near impossible to use in a basement (where many people don't have good cell coverage), and you have to pre-register the phones that will use it - with a limitation on it of how many phones are allowed to be pre-registered.

This goes along with a whole list of complaints I have about cell carriers, who seem to have stalled in technology acceptance. Why no cell-voice or SMS or MMS over WiFi? I know a carrier or two are doing this, but it is not widely deployed. If they are complaining so much about network and frequency congestion, it seems that this sort of offload would be something they want.