[outages] Ok, ok; Jeezus, people... it was a joke.

Stephen Wilcox steve.wilcox at ixreach.com
Thu Feb 7 21:01:26 EST 2013

On 8 February 2013 01:47, Corey Quinn <corey at sequestered.net> wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2013, at 5:41 PM, Stephen Wilcox <steve.wilcox at ixreach.com>
> wrote:
>
> Is this a serious answer? Because something is important to you it should
> fall into the definition of  "failures of major communications
> infrastructure components having significant traffic-carrying capacity" ?
>

> No, it qualifies given that almost every consumer (and a fair few
> business) facing service out there lets you use either Twitter or Facebook
> to authenticate; it's in the same bucket as 8.8.8.8 going down.  Widespread
> service failures for end users result if it happens, and is the kind of
> thing that's useful to understand in the context of "why is the helpdesk
> phone exploding."

The problem here is that 8.8.8.8 as well as many large web sites are
distributed. Its legitimately down for you and not for 95% of the rest of
its users which may in turn be only a small % of the wider telecom/internet
user base.

Its also clear from the recent posts that the details of how operators like
Facebook and Google architect their applications is not well understood by
its users.

Hence we have issues reported which result in large threads which end up
being of little use to anyone, even the users of those apps.

Signal to Noise = poor

.. thats precisely the definition of something thats a localised issue and
> should not be shared outside that community. You need to subscribe to an
> OAuth mailing list.
>

> Localized only insofar as it's a layer 7 problem should it hit; past that,
> the effects are internet-wide.

 I refer again to the list's already written mandate:  "failures of major
communications infrastructure components having significant
traffic-carrying capacity"

This is definitely not encompassing Layer-7. I understand its important to
a set of users, thats why I suggest there ought to be a place where those
users can discuss those issues.

Steve