[outages] Network Solutions DNS Stuffed?

Jeremy Chadwick jdc at koitsu.org
Wed Jul 17 10:01:19 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 09:31:33AM -0400, Mike Phipps wrote:
> Hello all, has anyone else noticed that some of the Network Solutions name
> servers are unresponsive? Take this for example:
>
> AMERIGON.COM has name server entries NS9.WORLDNIC.COM and
> NS10.WORLDNIC.COM...
>
> $ dig @ns9.worldnic.com amerigon.com
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> @ns9.worldnic.com amerigon.com
> ; (1 server found)
> ;; global options: +cmd
>
> $ dig @ns10.worldnic.com amerigon.com
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.8.1-P1 <<>> @ns10.worldnic.com amerigon.com
> ; (1 server found)
> ;; global options: +cmd

Can confirm this from my Comcast residential connection in Mountain
View, CA.  Other types of queries (NS, SOA, etc.) result in the same
behaviour.

Also just for the record:

ns9.worldnic.com has address 205.178.190.5
ns10.worldnic.com has address 206.188.198.5

traceroutes/mtrs to these destinations stop presumably at a border
router -- this will vary based on source location, but for me trying to
reach ns9 stops at hr1-tengig-2-0-0.sterling2dc2.savvis.net, ns10 stops
at ae-1-51.edge4.Atlanta2.Level3.net.  So possibilities include issues
with NetSol, or return path issues (which I obviously cannot confirm).

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc at koitsu.org |