[outages] P4: Facebook: XMPP chat: missing Real Name aliases

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Jul 23 22:49:59 EDT 2013

I use XMPP and Pidgin to connect to FB chat, and tonight, for the
first time in my memory, some of my active users in the user list
are showing up (both in the list and in conversation panes) with
no "Real Name" alias; just -biglongdecimalnumber at chat.facebook.com.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern; most users who are active show
up as usual.

It's flapped in and out several times; first spotted around 2233EDT.

If anyone has a channel to Facebook Chat engineering, you might pass
this along.

Cheers,
-- jra