[outages] REMINDER: On/Off Topic for Outages

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Jun 14 12:56:12 EDT 2013

The perceived S/N on outages seems to be dropping slightly again lately,
so please remember:

If it's a report that something appears out, a confirmation that something
is out, or an inquiry directly related to either (concerning scope or
necessary further data to confirm or deny), then it's on-topiv.

As soon as you're tempted to reply to a posting and branch off into
"and it probably wouldn't happen if they had..." or "and this happens a
lot..." or any other such editorial comments -- and *certainly* if you are
replying to one -- you should move your reply to -discussion, CCing
the person to whom you're replying, in case they're not on that list.

And, in other news: an additional reminder that if you get a message
CCd to both you and a list you're already on anyway, it's nearly always
because the sender's email client does not have a Reply-To-List button,
as nearly all consumer MUAs do not.  (I've had a ticket open on Zimbra
for 4 years for this with no motion.)

We try to keep the list as useful as possible to as large a number of
subscribers as possible, but we understand that some audiences have
disjoint requirements; we apologize if the rules we *do* try to enforce
leave still too much traffic on the list for you.
</moderator>

And Happy Flag Day!

Cheers,
-- jra