[outages] DNS timeouts for *some* zones from Sprint 4G/LTE

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Oct 26 00:27:25 EDT 2013

I'm seeing, tonight, the inability to resolve DNS lookups for *some* domains,
from my Sprint 4G phone.  FB and Twitter are fine, and Currents can get to
Android Central, frex, but panther.baylink.com, where my weather page resides,
won't resolve, as won't tapemonster.com, www. and en.wikipedia.org, and a
few others.

There seems no particular rhyme or reason to it.

Perhaps those zone servers are more than 600mi away?  :-)

(I have logged into one of my Linux boxen, *through* the 4G connection,
and did dig+trace from there; panther.baylink.com resolves just fine that
way.  And, for the record, the 4G link lets me ping panther by IP just fine;
this appears to be solely DNS, and not all of it.)

Started around 1800EDTish, I think.

Anyone else seeing anything like this?

Cheers,
-- jra