[outages] Savvis/CenturyLink issues this AM

Cary Wiedemann carywiedemann at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 18:21:55 EDT 2014

This outage is still ongoing and has far-reaching implications beyond their
CH3 facility.  I have servers in DC3 (Sterling, VA/Washington, DC) and
haven't been able to reach 12.0.0.0/8 among other networks since early this
morning.

Looks like things will get worse before they get better.  Here's their
latest update:

DATE OF EVENT: Tuesday, April 22, 2014
TIME OF EVENT : 03:20 CDT
MASTER CASE: 4579123

UPDATE: In effort to resolve an ongoing incident, CenturyLink will be
reloading several internet facing backbone devices within our network.
This emergency maintenance will potentially result in an intermittent loss
of connectivity and/or latency for up to 15 minutes.  Clients with
non-redundant ATS MPLS and EVPL connectivity could experience additional
impact during this maintenance.  This activity is required to address a
resource constraint on several peering and hosting routers within the
CenturyLink backbone network.  CenturyLink will notify all impacted clients
via email at the beginning and after the completion of the maintenance
activity.  We apologize for the inconvenience.

CRC Management
Request at savvis.net
North America - 888 638 6771
EMEA - 00800 7288 4743