[outages] Internap Being DDoS'd

Jeremy Chadwick jdc at koitsu.org
Wed Feb 12 13:53:35 EST 2014

I see some attributes in the "UNIX ntpd" example there which are
missing.  I would suggest people follow the defaults provided by some of
the OSS distros (ex. FreeBSD 9):

http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/9/etc/ntp.conf?revision=259974&view=markup

Specifically these lines for starters:

restrict default kod nomodify notrap nopeer noquery
restrict -6 default kod nomodify notrap nopeer noquery

restrict 127.0.0.1
restrict -6 ::1
restrict 127.127.1.0

The last 3 lines are effectively "allow" statements.  You'll
need to modify your ntp.conf accordingly; e.g. if the system in
question is used as an NTP server for other machines on 192.168.1.0/24,
you'd need something like:

restrict 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0

But I recommend folks read (not skim -- it actually reads quite easily,
just the formatting isn't easily skimmable) the following page, as it
goes over the difference between "restrict default {bunch of modifiers}"
vs. "restrict default ignore":

http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/AccessRestrictions

It's remarkable how neglected NTP is as a service.  :/

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc at koitsu.org |