[outages] [Outages-discussion] Level3 Routing...

Jeremy Chadwick jdc at koitsu.org
Fri Feb 28 21:34:27 EST 2014

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 09:23:06PM -0500, staticsafe wrote:
> On 2/28/2014 20:49, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> > I'd suggest setting up a cron job that logs the mtr data on two systems
> > (system A, going from A->B, and system B, going from B->A), so that you
> > can review it if/when it happens again.
> >
> > I have a small shell script I wrote, which uses a dorky config file of
> > sorts, that can do this for you if you want me to provide it.  I use it
> > on my home FreeBSD system, and my FreeBSD VPS system, checking
> > connectivity between them (and to some other places as well).
> >

> Something like this would be much appreciated. I was thinking of writing
> a similar script to mail mtr output on an hourly basis.

I take no responsibility for support or misuse or misunderstanding of
how this works.  Normally anything I release publicly I tend to provide
some degree of support for; this is an exception, i.e. "this works for
me" and was thrown together one day without the usual amount of care or
caution I normally apply when writing code.

I expect people using this to take the time to figure out how it works
(it's not hard); paths/etc. should become fairly obvious once said
examination is done.

People may also need to update to mtr 0.85 to get all the benefits.

Attachments:

mtr.sh = shell script that calls mtr with specific arguments, and reads
a pseudo configuration file from stdin

config = configuration file

cronjob itself:

##
# Periodic mtrs to numerous locations.
#
# EXECUTION: Every 1 minute
#
*/1 * * * *     cd /var/log/captures && cat config | ./mtr.sh

How relevant log files are rotated, how many are kept, etc. -- done
quite simply through FreeBSD newsyslog(8).  That entry:

/var/log/captures/*.log root:staff      664  40    *    @T00  GB

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc at koitsu.org |