[outages] Google may have authentication problems Fri AM (was: Gmail down)

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Jan 24 14:17:51 EST 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Kevin Day" <toasty at dragondata.com>

> From multiple locations we’re getting either:
>
> ---
> We’re sorry, but your Gmail account is temporarily unavailable. We
> apologize for the inconvenience and suggest trying again in a few
> minutes. You can view the Apps Status Dashboard for the current status
> of the service.
>
> If the issue persists, please visit the Gmail Help Center »
>>
> Or “Error #718” when trying to log into gmail, both for @gmail.com
> addresses as well for hosted domains. IMAP is hanging at login.

IMAP poll from K9 on my Sprint 4G phone timed out.  Twice.

Logging in from web browser on tethered Linux laptop gives the login
page ok, and correctly bounces a bad password, but the proper password
gives:

"""
500. That’s an error.

There was an error. Please try again later. That’s all we know.
"""

While Youtube already thought I was logged in, attempting to pop the
menu to log out and check there also timed out; this may not just be
Gmail, either.

Yup; this looks like a problem.

Cheers,
-- jra