[outages] level3 LA

Jeremy Chadwick jdc at koitsu.org
Tue Mar 11 13:15:57 EDT 2014

Your 1st traceroute shows loss happening within the Los Angeles region
possibly within Level3 (hop #8 from the look of it, and it looks like
multipathing is involved).  Because traceroutes going only one direction
are provided (due to the destination you chose and the nature of
asymmetric routing), only half of the picture is shown, which is why I
say "possibly".

Your 2nd traceroute shows two things;

- Loss showing up starting at hop #3 (possibly within Zayo/Abovenet
  space, again "possibly", re: asymmetric routing)
- Loss showing up at hop #8 (could be an effect of something happening
  earlier in the path)

For reference, here are your traceroutes:

https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/outages/2014-March/006787.html

So when you say "I think it's a problem with Tustin > LA", the 2nd
traceroute you provided doesn't seem to support that theory, nor the
statement "I am unable to reproduce it to any other network".

Do you have any other tools available to you, like mtr?  mtr won't
narrow down where the issue is happening, but would make it more clear
as to where the issue is happening, especially if you let it run for a
while (say 10 minutes or so) from both places (you didn't provide source
IPs for either traceroute, so that doesn't help either).

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc at koitsu.org |