[outages] Time Warner Cable through Verizon (Wash. DC Metro): Packet Loss

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Nov 4 16:48:58 EST 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Michael Hertrick via Outages" <outages at outages.org>

> Since yesterday, 03-NOV-2014 around 07:12AM EST, two systems on separate
> Time-Warner Cable (TWC) accounts have been experiencing intermittent and
> severe packet loss between TWC in NYC and my network in Ashburn, VA.
>
> I've run MTR to the equipment on TWC. The loss I see in that direction
> is on the last two hops only. When I traceroute back to my network
> from TWC, and see packet loss, it's between TWC and Verizon.

Well, the second to last hops have different addresses, but that doesn't mean
they're not the same concentrator; annoying as hell that mtr -r won't show
both names and IPs, isn't it?

Are the remote TWC locations both near one another?

Do you have reports from them that they have trouble getting other places
on the internet?  Speed tests showing problems?  etc?

Cheers,
-- jra