[outages] HE IPv6 tunnel PMTU issues with juniper.net

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Oct 1 13:21:40 EDT 2014

Actually, given the nature of browsers these days, it is not at all unlikely that your request to the Juniper web server contains 1280+ octets of HTTP header data and thus is the largest packet. I think if you investigate further you will find that most flows stall at the point of a TCP packet larger than N octets payload hitting the Juniper from the LAN side and being small enough that it doesn't generate a PTB message, so it gets silently dropped.

At least that's what happened in my environment before I reduced the tcp-mss as described in my earlier message.

And to Warren, yes, not fragmenting in the network _IS_ actually better.

Owen