[outages] Belkin [heartbeat.belkin.com]

Paul Miller listmail at voltar-confed.org
Tue Oct 7 11:17:18 EDT 2014

On one of my netblocks my subscribers can nolonger ping Belkin.  I can ping
heartbeat.belkin.com from my webservers and from subscriber units on a
different netblock.

Apparently Belkin routers ping the home base every couple seconds to determine
the correct color of the Internet light on the router (orange or blue *sigh*).
Worse, when it can't ping the Belkin site the router seems to pack up and
redirect my subscribers to their router configuration page.

I found this pretty easy to work around.  I simply DNATed the pings intended
for heartbeat.belkin.com to one of my local nameservers and that seems to get
them back online.  It's a silly workaround, but if anyone else is seeing all
the Belkin routers on their network pack up, this could be why.

-Paul