[outages] Los Angles problems

John A. Kilpatrick john at hypergeek.net
Fri Aug 21 23:28:13 EDT 2015

On Fri, 21 Aug 2015, Bret Clark via Outages wrote:

> According to Level3, there was a MAJOR generator explosion that took out
> several floors of a building in LA.
>
> http://www.wdam.com/story/29849143/underground-explosion-at-los-angeles-high-rise-injures-four
>
> They believe that this has potentially affected a large number of ISPs in the
> area.  Outages are reported in other states including as far as Colorado.
> Please expect an extended outage going forward.

Interesting.

CenturyLink has told me that there was some sort of commerical power
failure at one of their sites, and they didn't have any generators
on-site.  They were looking to restore power, and I believe they're back
on commerical power, but we're still troubleshooting circuits that haven't
come back up.  It can't be a coincidence, but given that they say they
have power back I'm not sure what really happened.

--
                                John A. Kilpatrick
john at hypergeek.net                Email|     http://www.hypergeek.net/