[outages] Vandalism of CenturyLink fibre in Arizona causes large outage footprint.

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Feb 26 13:31:27 EST 2015

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 1:05 PM, Stephen Wilcox via Outages
<outages at outages.org> wrote:

> On 26 February 2015 at 17:07, joel jaeggli via Outages <outages at outages.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 2/26/15 7:53 AM, Stephen Wilcox via Outages wrote:
>> > "According to Juarez, technicians from Monroe, Louisiana-based
>> > CenturyLink had to go through a long, tedious process of inspecting the
>> > line "mile by mile." Meanwhile, Flagstaff's 69,000 residents tried to go
>> > about their daily business."
>> >
>> > So, northern Arizona is entirely single homed from a CenturyLink fiber,
>> > and CenturyLink technicians don't own an OTDR but in fact walk miles to
>> > find cuts?
>> >
>> > Sounds more like CenturyLink made a huge mess up here and threw out some
>> > PR spin that the media believes is normal, vandals huh..
>>
>> in the 2013 san jose cut, the cable was severed in two places, making
>> the distance to break different from both ends.
>

> not running an OTDR from both ends to determine the extent of the break and
> any damage to the cable (such as stretching) is incompetence... I'd hope the
> long distance field engineers understood how to analyse and repair a break

It's entirely *possible* that the CL engineers are completely
incompetent and presently peering into the EDFAs while repeatedly
pushing the Laser Shutdown Override and saying to each other "I think
I saw it flash, do that again..."

I suspect that it is *much* more likely that whoever the press called
is entirely non-technical, but trying to be helpful and explaining
what *they* know at the moment.
The story that ends up in the paper is often wildly different from
what an engineer would say..

> (then again, I'd hope they knew how to build a redundant network too)

Nod.