[outages] EDGE: Anyone seeing 100% CPU on Fortigate edge routers?

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Thu Jan 15 15:42:02 EST 2015

On 16 Jan 2015, at 3:38, Jay Ashworth wrote:

> If they did it was a *very* targeted attack, because Road Runner's
> support guy said they didn't see any appreciable amount of inbound
> traffic
> at that time.

We've seen hardware load-balancers rated at 10gb/sec taken down with
only 60kpps of HOIC for 60s (and require 45m to reboot), so
high-throughput/-banwidth isn't really necessary; stateful devices make
it a lot easier to DDoS a given target with far less traffic than would
be otherwise required.

Just a thought - it might be worth having a gander at whatever telemetry
is available.