[outages] [Outages-discussion] dns cache flush request

Eduard Tieseler etieseler at metrolist.net
Mon Mar 16 13:50:38 EDT 2015

This would be a nice feature/framework to have. I work for a service that
is a membership based website that Realtors use for their business and a
number of months ago we had an issue where a few of our URL¹s were cached
with the incorrect IP address. Our TTL was 3 hours but it was not
respected and these incorrect URLs had a TTL of 1 week. OpenDNS gives you
the ability to request a DNS cache flush, but trying to deal with the
various ISPs to get them to flush that DNS cache was far far worse than
pulling teeth with no anesthetic. Only a couple were helpful and even
understood what I was requesting, but most hadn¹t the slightest clue what
I was talking about.

It is rare, but some times things happen and it would be helpful to have
some method to be able to flush DNS cache on servers who have incorrect
data stored in their cache.

That¹s my 2 cents.

Regards,

Eduard Tieseler

      <https://www.facebook.com/metrolistmls>
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmhaqKw5Kv2TBJ-gohS8TvQ>

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS ELECTRONIC MESSAGE IS CONFIDENTIAL. THE
INFORMATION IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO
WHOM IT IS ADDRESSED. IF YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, ANY USE,
DISSEMINATION, OR DISTRIBUTION OF THIS COMMUNICATION IS PROHIBITED. IF YOU
HAVE RECEIVED THIS ELECTRONIC MESSAGE IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY US
IMMEDIATELY AND DELETE THE MESSAGE. ANY USE, MODIFICATION, OR
REPUBLICATION OF THIS COMMUNICATION, INCLUDING ANY ATTACHED FILES,
DOCUMENTS, DATA OR OTHER INFORMATION WHICH HAS NOT BEEN EXPRESSLY
AUTHORIZED BY US IS PROHIBITED. WE SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIM RESPONSIBILITY
FOR ANY UNAUTHORIZED USE OF THIS COMMUNICATION OR ANY ATTACHMENTS TO IT.