[outages] Linode Fremont outage

Mark Keymer mark at viviotech.net
Sun May 31 11:00:22 EDT 2015

So, As a reminder a few years back Amazon had a similar situation back
east. (I forget which location) The utility power went off and one of
the Generators was not working correctly. Before they were able to get
it fixed the UPS Juice went out and a section of servers went off-line.
A few minutes later power was returned. (Either utility or generator I
don't recall) But it took apx 1 day to get most the servers (And Virtual
servers on them) back online. However there was some servers / virtual
servers that were not recoverable.

 From my experience loss of power on a single machine generally doesn't
hurt the machine to badly. However when you have Hundreds go off-line
there are bound to be a few with issues. It just seems to be that way.

Also I do not Fault HE or Linode for only have Grid + Generator. However
I bet there are some UPS in there too.

People tend to believe that there is just so much redundancy that how
could a thing happen. People need to see reality and as mentioned before
you do get what you pay for. However most people do not want to pay for
tons of redundancy. And even when you do I foresee there are things that
can still take you down.

If there is more to the story sure I would like to hear as well. But
honestly I am guessing it was a failure with no foul play happening.

Sincerely,

Mark