[outages] NANOG

Jim Popovitch jimpop at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 12:16:06 EDT 2015

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 11:58 AM, Owen DeLong via Outages
<outages at outages.org> wrote:

> > On Oct 26, 2015, at 08:41 , Joe Abley via Outages <outages at outages.org> wrote:
> >

> > On 26 Oct 2015, at 11:26, Rich Kulawiec via Outages wrote:
> >
> >> As an aside, a couple of years ago I argued that Mailman should have
> >> a feature added that measured the normal rate of message flow (per hour,
> >> per day, perhaps per week) and provided a setting which would engage
> >> the moderation flag if that rate was exceeded by a (configurable)
> >> multiplier.  E.g., "if normal for this list is 20 messages a day and
> >> and the multiplier is set to 3, then once the message count hits 60
> >> in a 24-hour period, hold all subsequent messages for manual approval".
> >> This is one of the use cases that I had in mind for it.
> >
> > I like that idea, but I wonder whether it has unpleasant implications for operations lists.
> >
> > If something horrible happens in a global context, it's not unusual for somewhat quiet ops lists to explode with content. That's kind of what those lists are for. It'd be unfortunate if the one time you really wanted the list to work in anger, it automatically throttled itself.
> >

> I think we can solve that problem, actually…
>
> What if once the list went into “automoderation”, instead of requiring manual approval, it sent a notification back to the poster asking them to log in to their mailman account and approve the message. It could even provide a link in the email which would take care of everything so long as they were able to supply their mailman password. (Manual approval would remain an option, but valid users would be able to get their message out if it was urgent or they cared).
>
> Thoughts?

Personally I don't think that it's a MLM problem to fix.   Those
emails should NEVER have gone through ops or nanog, they should have
been caught at the MTA level with appropriate content filtering
(SpamAssassin has been detecting such emails for a few years now).

-Jim P.