[outages] eBay password changes -- were they attacked?

Joey Kelly joey at joeykelly.net
Tue Apr 5 12:18:54 EDT 2016

On 04/05/2016 10:51 AM, DJ Anderson via Outages wrote:
> I got one of those a few weeks ago.
>
> When I inquired about it I was told that the password I was using was found on some leaked password list and due to that they had set a temporary password to protect my account.
>
> -DJ

Does that not imply they are not using salted hashes, but storing the
passwords in plaintext? Or maybe they're intercepting the passwords and
testing them against a dictionary? I might be OK with the latter, maybe
(but who appointed them to be the world's password police?)

--Joey Kelly

<snip>

--
Joey Kelly
Minister of the Gospel and Linux Consultant