[outages] eBay password changes -- were they attacked?

Jeremy Chadwick jdc at koitsu.org
Thu Apr 7 12:00:23 EDT 2016

On Thu, Apr 07, 2016 at 03:33:12PM +0000, Jay R. Ashworth via Outages wrote:
> [...]

Yes, amazonses.com is the valid domain for AWS SES.  What this means is
the Email Joe received was actually sent via Amazon's SES service
(possibly via SMTP, possibly via API), regardless of whatever other
domains/hostnames/etc. were involved or shown in the mail.

Amazon's documentation doesn't make this readily apparent, but you can
find definitive mentions of it here:

https://sesblog.amazon.com/blog/category/Announcements
https://sesblog.amazon.com/post/TxEH4YOF3YJG0L/Amazon-SES-IP-addresses
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/ses/latest/DeveloperGuide/received-email-problems.html

The most notable is the first link, quoting: "By default, SES uses its
own MAIL FROM domain (amazonses.com or a subdomain of that) when it
sends your emails."

AWS SES runs an *incredibly* tight ship (I cannot stress this point hard
enough), so if you're receiving Emails of a suspicious or nefarious
nature which are truly coming via AWS SES, and your own review of the
details shows that it's nefarious and did in fact come via AWS SES, you
should report it.  They absolutely can and will look into it -- because
all outbound SMTP via SES, as well as API calls, are authenticated with
a key which ties to an account/user/customer.  Abuse form:
https://aws.amazon.com/forms/report-abuse

The easiest way to tell where an Email actually came from is to read all
of the Received: headers one at a time.  (Sometimes they're in
most-recent-first order, other times they're not and you get to piece
them together by paying very close attention).

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc at koitsu.org |