[outages] CenturyLink/Fiber Cut

Chris Boyd cboyd at gizmopartners.com
Fri Aug 12 11:37:54 EDT 2016

> On Aug 11, 2016, at 9:11 PM, chris via Outages <outages at outages.org> wrote:
>
> lol telco speak should be its own dialect. its also great when you get an update but that update doesnt give you any info thats useful at all
>
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 9:49 PM, B.J. Ash via Outages <outages at outages.org> wrote:
> Here is the “latest” from a couple of hours ago (still very vague):
>

> The higher level trouble is still under investigation. One of the LECs is seeing AIS from the CFA with the other LEC. We will provide further information as it comes available.

AIS = Alarm Indication Signal - It’s a special bit pattern sent by telecom gear to indicate to the far end of the circuit that the sender is not receiving a valid signal.  Helps you figure out where and which direction the problem is in.

CFA = Connecting Facilities Arrangement - This is the fiber, wave, wire, or channel that two telecom carriers have agreed to meet on to exchange bits.

LEC = Local Exchange Carrier - AKA a “phone company

So the translation is something like “One phone company says that we’ve got light at the fiber where we meet, but it’s an alarm signal, so other phone company please go and check your network.”

—Chris